glue

Will adding more RAM improve speed?

11 posts in this topic

when I use chrome it just takes up all the ram and I can't browse smoothly anymore or use other applications like word, excel alongwith it. Will increasing RAM improve my speed?? (1.7GHz processor, 1 gb ram currently, using windows 7 installed quite recently)

It should at least help.... How much ram do you have now?

it is 1gb padre.

How much RAM memory do you have right now? Maybe you have too many programs running in the background?

closing them sometimes helps, .sometimes not...

1gb again.

Have you defragged your computer recently? This is a process with removes old and inactive files which often increases speed because the computer has less information to scan through when trying to find stuff and opens up the space to new files in this case when using chrome might be cookies from the websites you use. Simple things could free up ram meaning you don't have to go out and buy more for a little while. Can I ask what operating system your using?

More RAM will help. For most of the new OS you want to be running, 3+gig of ram. 

If you are running XP you don't want to run more than 3. 

glue likes this

Only changing the ram is not complete process, you should check compatibility the ram to with other hardware, May your new ram in not compatible with your system.    

Chrome needs more RAM than that, for sure. Opening the program with one or two tabs can eat up a gig of memory. It's sad. Firefox is similarly bloated but it manages memory in such a way that opening multiple tabs isn't such a problem.

For sure. I have 12 and things run smoothly. But I'd be surprised if things ran smoothly on 1. It's also how many cores your processor has that helps with speed (ie; 1 gb ram with 4 cores is going to run a lot better than 1 gb ram with 2). Also, the best processors tend to be the Intel i7 and AMD 10 right now. But even a lower i(5) or AMD 8 would be sufficient.

yes it would .... on a 32 bit computer you can only run 4 gig of ram

on a 64 bit computer you can run up to 64 gig depending on your mother board ... but take note .... if you are running windows ( any windows op) then it uses up processor time  to manage its ram.... if you simply keep adding more and more ram then you will start to see a drop in performance....

for gaming for example I would stick to 16 gig

actually on a 64 bit you can run 198 gig of memory but you would only do that if you run servers.

most mother boards for home builds wont run that amount ... 64 gig

but like I said if running windows stay around 16