glue

dealing with deranged professor

12 posts in this topic

well i need some help to how to cope with this character that is making my life really miserable.

we have a mentally deranged professor. he abuses everyone...including his wife (vocal abuse , speaking derogatory things against others).and he clearly needs psychiatrists help...

while all other people find it really easy to deal with him ...i get really upset....and i m not really able to cope with his method in his lectures

i m thinking about writing a letter to college admin people...because he vilifies the college also, which is against their interests...and probably they will look into the matter.

If he is abusing people, you need to report it; both to the college and the police. Whether others are able to deal with it or not is irrelevant. If he is doing something illegal it needs to be reported. Let the police and other authorities investigate and take appropriate action 

padre by abusing i meant just vocal abuses...he makes derogatory comments against girls in class and against his old wife, and he does it a very harsh and upsetting tone. can this be considered illegal?

just to add more, he also makes bad comments about our own country and praises other nations...not sure if this can call for reporting. but it is really upsetting.

Abuse is abuse whether it is physical, sexual, emotional, verbal, mental, etc. Abuse is abuse and it is illegal. 

And making derogatory remarks against your country may be illegal... You would have to check on that one though. 

Even if making those comments are not illegal it is better to report it, and let the authorities investigate and determine that, then let it go, and let him get away with potentially illegal activities.  

glue likes this

None of this sounds like its directed against you. If the girls in your class or his wife are offended by the verbal abuse they should deal with it, its not your place to interfere in any of that- not even legally. 

There is freedom of speech and with that he can express his opinion over whatever country he wishes to express- providing he is not inciting hatred and/or causing trouble.

You started... " i need some help to how to cope with this character that is making my life really miserable."

I still fail to see why you are affected so much over stuff that relates to other people who don't see reason to take action themselves? 

You also say, "while all other people find it really easy to deal with him ...i get really upset...."

Im sorry, but I really do feel this is more about you managing your reactions to others that don't line up with your ideal character/ temperament.

If other people seem ok with it, let it go. Learn to adapt to what I term as apparently psycho people; who by the way are everywhere..

Some battles are just not worth fighting.

glue likes this

@phoenix: well actually he targeted me four times today which got me really upset...then again as you said it is his freedom of speech so cant do much about this...
firstly i arrived at 14:29 in class that was scheduled at 14:30 so he tiraded me for that. said if this is a class or some public place. sent me out of the class as i was entering. later called me back from door. i didn't know his mood would be to arrive 5 mins earlier to class. (i was the only one last (not late) becoz we had a different class before this and only i went out of college for some work)
secondly my case study didn't have 'much' highlights on it. he walked near me, saw my sheet and assumed i didn't read it....again scolded and called if i was saving it for my grandson... :(
third when i couldn't answer a question (this was the only legit one)
fourth ,by this time i was getting quite nervous and almost shaking from inside. he called me for some minor work on a ppt - to start the slideshow. (called me coz i was sitting in the front ; as i had arrived last and all other seats were occupied). and i got so nervous i couldn't start the slideshow ...harsh words again...

these all might sound silly but imagine being singled out for these in a class of 50+ students...

he targeted 4-5 other students also including girls. but they seem to be unfazed about it. i am not idealistic but he is too difficult for me handle...

some people had planned to skip his lecture on fb...i was too late to notice ...should have skipped *bangshead*

he is famous as a psycho, terror professor...he himself says i  think 10% of his class "won't be able to cope up  till term ends" .....unfortunately , apparently  i m one of the them coz i m not able to continue...

I've had lots of professors like this in my lifetime.  Don't let him get to you; do what you need to do and get out of the class asap.  DO NOT quit, though.  That gives him a "win."  Do the very best you can and stand up to him in any way possible...that might be in getting an A in the class; in giving the shit back to him; in laughing; whatever...

glue likes this

As a former college professor, I can tell you that professors get put off by so many students who are not serious about their academics.

Girls are some of the worst. A high percentage of them are there simply to snag a husband. They are majoring in "soft" subjects for which there are ZERO jobs out there. And the number of girls I've had crying about tests . . . you are not supposed to cry about a test! You go to university to learn how to cope with things!

So the guy's a curmudgeon now. See if you can rise to the occasion.

Academic freedom is in danger of being snuffed out by the PC police. If the guy vilifies women--or men--so be it.

Some things needs to be vilified from time to time!

glue likes this

How you deal with this is a life lesson in it's self.

As the last member said, try not to buy into his button pushing.

There is nothing wrong with saying (only when approached) that you don't share the same views and prefer to stick to the coarse line. If he continues, write the letter. If it still bothers you...change class.

Remember! It's not your job or duty to change him. You goal is to only finish the class and get your credit.

glue likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead