Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
Guest forbidden to read a book

Forbidden to Read A Book

7 posts in this topic

So my mom came in my room this morning, looking for something. And she saw "Save Haven" on my desk and started lecturing me about borrowing books and stuff. 
My parents want me to read ONLY MY TEXTBOOKS while I'm a flipping student. 
It INFURIATES me! I can't even borrow a book from the library, and when I do, I have to be secretive about it!

I am! I am taking a class in American Literature. And my mom wants me TO READ ONLY THE TEXTBOOK FOR THAT CLASS (and my textbooks for History of California)--nothing else. No novels, no nothing.

By the way, I signed in as a guest this morning because I was on a different computer, and for the life of me, I couldn't remember my password (which is saved on my own computer).

Are your grades poor or do you have a bad history of not finishing assignments? Are you keeping up with your class? Really what you read outside of class is nobody's business but your own, but I assume your mother just wants you to do well.

According to your profile you are 27. Tell your mother that you can't complete your courses with only reading text books. Be polite, but to the point. 

If she continues to suggest/insist that you not read other literature, Tell her in no uncertain terms that you will continue to read other books. 

Honestly cannot even begin to understand your parents attitude towards not reading. But at the end of the day they are your parents, so you cannot be outright rude about it - do not think that is the point either, although I can definitely understand your frustration. Would suggest you make it very clear that you cannot stop reading as it is imperative for your learning and growth. Tell your parents it is needed for your studies and will increase your knowledge and understanding on the subject - which is true. As Padre said 'be polite, but to the point.' But whatever you do - please do not stop reading.

Padre J Roulston likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead