TheSnarister

Atheist / Christian Q&A / Open Discussion

29 posts in this topic

Well, if you search for meaning wherever it's at, you'll be going down more rabbit trails than your life may span.  I suggest that you find meaning at it's very point of origin.  The meaning of all meanings isn't in the end, but the beginning.  There are no better words than 'religion,' 'faith,' and 'spirituality,' to describe God, other than "God."  The problems with these words is that terms and definitions change with who ever is in charge of the meanings - as a society of people we're glued to fashion and trends and we loose grip (and respect) for what these words truly mean.

Your statement is a lot like this -

EXAMPLE: Having never seen or (much less) driven a car you suddenly find yourself in the driver's seat.  You may have the wits to figure it out in the natural sense, but the vehicle of life is a bit more. . .intricate than it first appears.  To put your hands on the wheel and say "I've got this" is so incredibly and indescribably. . .dangerous - there are no volumes of dictionaries to describe it.  Yet, you are meant to experience what it is to drive.  Now, if you're in the vehicle, it's clear that the vehicle was created.  It comes with instructions.  And there is the One who both created the vehicle and One who bears the wisdom of it's operation. . .  These are simple terms that some people get and some others do not.  Youth bears a lot of restlessness and unhappiness with current presidence - you do not want to be well excircised with questions and ponderings that carry you to the end of your life.

I totally get what your driving at (correct me if I'm wrong) which is that from your perspective I am searching for meaning everywhere BUT it's origin, and that origin is God.

Now, in turn, try to understand my perspective. When I pray I hear nothing, when I look for evidence of God I see nothing that needs to be attributed to him/her/it. So I look at this "origin" and don't buy it.

I mean, I guess it sounds plausible. It feels like a philosophy thought experiment rather than anything scientific. People's primary goal in life might be the search for meaning. It sounds nice. I'm not sure what it adds of value to a discussion of the human mind. But then, full disclosure, I think a lot of modern psych is bogus. So do a lot of psychiatrists and neuroscientists for that matter.

As long as we are all thinking and growing, cool. I don't have to agree.

EXAMPLE:  Nothing in the logistics and components of a computer would suggest a natural explanation of it's existence.

Therefore, perhaps one should search for meaning beyond (outside) the realm of this world.

I think the neat thing is that everything about it and us points toward how we were made and what we were made to do and then how we can direct our lives meaningfully within whatever rules we were set up to work by.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead