15 posts in this topic

Here's a post everyone can contribute to!

Everyone from every culture will have some unique idea for what can help expand one's world view and increase their well-being. So post something you think all people should do at some point in their life to broaden their world-view or gain a unique perspective.

What was something you did that either deliberately or accidentally taught you something important?

There are two rules:

1. It must not directly advocate for a specific political or religious orientation.

2. The suggestion cannot be directed at any particular group of people. Keep it general!

For example: 'Convert to bhuddism' is against the rules. 'Meditate according to bhuddist practice' is in accordance with the rules. 'Read the Qu'ran' is against the rules. 'Fast for a month' is in accordance with the rules. Spirituality should be a good source of inspiration, but it must be applicable to people outside your religious beliefs!

It might just be as simple as 'Watch this trippy music video', or 'read 50 Shades of Grey'.

Someone told me that I should 'dance every day'. Which is pretty crazy but I'm thinking I will try to learn a new dance move every day to give the task some form of structure, so if anyone has any dance move suggestions then throw them this way!

Take cold showers for one week.

1. learn to accept discomfort and delay gratification

2. improve blood circulation

3. increase immune strength and awareness (related: http://www.pnas.org/content/111/20/7379.full.pdf)

4. use less energy / waste less water - you will not want to be in there more than 5 min

5. feels great after you are done / helps to clear a mental fog and reconnect with your physical senses

Tips:

1. try it in the summer when it is hot

2. try it after exercise when you are hot

3. start with your feet and legs, then move up to torso, chest and head - back is the worst

4. don't feel bad if you can't do it the first time - keep trying

After one week, you may decide to keep doing it...

wil likes this

Take cold showers for one week.

I want to try this, but not until summer gets here.

My problem is I have very little motivation to even take warm showers haha.

Maybe I will just not wash at all!

Discovered the flat earth conspiracy :D

Merely learning that such a conspiracy exists just expanded my consciousness!

Lets not go advocating for specific ideologies now though!

I just want to say, that saying "read the Quran" shouldn't be against the rules since it's not the same as "convert to Islam" - you're broadening your knowledge of an entire group of people. If one can say "Meditate according to Buddhist practice," how's "Pray according to Islamic practice?" If you make it a rule to not read one book, then no one can say "read [insert name of book here]."

I took a Cultural Anthropology class and I recommend it to people, because it broadened my understanding of others' belief systems and cultures. Anthropologists sacrifice a lot to study people. They immerse themselves in a people's beliefs and customs, having to suppress their own to try and gain understanding of another way of life. 

I also recommend taking a Greek Mythology class, many religious stories have striking similarities (across cultures) and the stories are beautiful.

The Bible, Tora, and Quran which cover the same incidents, are basically exactly that, stories (a mythology). 

Something easy to do, I think everyone should watch Doctor Who. 

I just want to say, that saying "read the Quran" shouldn't be against the rules since it's not the same as "convert to Islam" 

Not everyone treats a suggestion to read religious doctrine like a cultural anthropologist.

Religious people see their religious texts as representing more than a cultural mythology.

Asking someone to read a specific religious text because it expands consciousness, indirectly advocates for a specific religion.

Hope that clarifies my reasoning :)

Fall in love was the best thing I ever did so far, no matter how any of it turns out or how strange some stuff seems. Deeply moving and awakening and positive for me, (maybe just because the terms and person are so good), but I'd recommend it to anyone. I did that the same time as I crawled out of the damage and practice and ignorance of a few bad habits, and I'm sure those events are interrelated as so many different types of goodness are all probably the same inside, the more obviously the better you understand maybe. Anyway, I'd recommend making mistakes and learning how to permanently take better care of yourself. 

Gone. likes this

I recommend being nicer to one another.Looking past ethnicity,disability and mental health.

Smile more at people and even hug them if they look a bit lost.

Compassion doesnt cost anything. Make someones day just that bit brighter. :)

I recommend smiling more.

and dancing every day, i used to do it and it felt amazing, taylor swifts shake it off kept the sadness at bay. 

i recommend listening to ludovico einaudi - i giorni 

and working out everyday. theres something about it that clears your mind

visit the mountains lakes and woods often.

its important to be alone sometimes.

and most of all limit the use of technology. its awesome but i believe its the reason people are more unhappy now than ever before.

Everyone should really take the time to consider their ego, their mental chatter, to attune themselves to the world around them. To try to evaporate into the earth. If only for a moment.