Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
holyburd

Fate or chance?

6 posts in this topic

I just want to get your opinions on this whole thing. Some people believe that the people we meet, and friends we make are a result of "fate", that we meet who we are supposed to meet at certain times of life for a reason. Others call it chance, that sometimes the people you come across just happen to be there, and that it's a numbers game, the more you meet, the more your odds of a connection. I suppose this could apply to romantic partnerships as well. What do you guys think? Personally, I feel it is a bit of both.

fate and chance are malleable,  nothing is a straight line, but ofc if we take something and make it ours.. sure we can construct it as a variety in ways that it can appear to be linear. 

I don't feel a need to lable it. Life just is. Mabe its fate, or maybe its just a result of our actions. I met my frist love because I decided to do something out of the box and try to go airsofting. I just happened to try something new that day. His friend just happened to know my friend. And happened to have an airsoft game planned. Things just happened to have happened. Theres other times I really like someone, walk up and try, and things down work out. I'm sure in an alternate realiy, if one thing had been done differently, the resuult would have been different.

I think things in life happen because of the decisions that we make.

My grandpa gave me an old computer game. I decided to play it. Decided to talk to a specific person. be friends with that specific person, more than just online. And one day that random person saved my life. My knowing him happened because I decided to be nice to a complete stranger one day. Because I deicded to talk to him as a person instead of just play a game.

I met another friend because I decided to ask a teacher if I could sit in on his class, and thus met a new people.

and I made another friend because I decided to go to the library, and because I decided to talk to the person sitting next to me.

I think life is all about choice and concequence. I think that is fate. And I think that is just life.

It is funny you mention gaming and saving lives. I had helped my friend through suicide by playing this game called Metal Gear Solid 3 Online, we spoke for hours. How, we just met, and boom, that was in 2006, we are good pals to this day. I think it's a mixture of things. You're right, life just is. Sometimes we can affect an outcome, sometimes, we cannot.

Padre J Roulston likes this

I'm of the mind that nothing occurs by chance. Chance is probability which is just using maths to predict outcomes when we don't understand the causal mechanism.

Hypothetically speaking, if you had knowledge of every causal mechanism, you could predict anything with 100% accuracy.

If everything has a causal mechanism, then there is no such thing as free will. We act based on the constraints that our environment and our experience impose on us.

Saying that we meet people in life because we're 'supposed to' implies that the scenario of meeting has been predetermined. That there is some higher purpose with a goal in mind, pulling the causal strings.

This single online conversation for example may contribute to your personal understanding of fate and 'the rules that govern why you meet people'. This might cause you to a) be more open to meeting new people, comfort in the knowledge that fate will provide you with what has been predetermined, or B) attempt to connect with more people in the hopes of improving your odds.

I think that regardless of what you believe to be true, there are countless underlying causal mechanisms that will determine who you meet in your life, this conversation perhaps being one of them.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead