Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
Padre J Roulston

Transmission to a waterwheel...

18 posts in this topic

If a car's manual transmission were connected to a waterwheel (~10 rpm) what would the approximate rpm output be?

I'm doing research for the book I'm writing, and the situation that inspired this question is... to have the waterwheel be connected to a transmission (increase rpm) to power alternators to charge batteries.... and then possibly be connected to another transmission (decrease rpm again) to run a flour mill. 

Would this situation work? or would a different gearbox be needed?

A million years ago I watched an episode of "Route 66" in which some kind of belt was attached to a wheel of their Corvette, and used to power something--which I do not remember.

It worked, of course.   And eventually they got back on Route 66!

Padre J Roulston likes this

For my book research, I've determined it would be best to use a 24 VDC system rather than a 12 VDC. My dad suggested using the alternators out of transport trucks rather than cars. 
That way the invertors and generating ability would be more efficient. 

That's a mechanical engineering question and has been done several times before. Arizona trailer parks do this. Maybe research there or Mexico. There's  no need to reinvent the wheel:)

I forgot to mention, 6 volt batteries would be better and a differential instead of a transmission. It's the amps you need, not volts.

My book is set in a dystopian future, so need to use what is available. :) 

Well...I guess you'll have to research how they did it in the past before we had all this fancy stuff:)

Saw mills, river boats and old western windmills.

Well in the first installment had a pretty descriptive section on how to purify water.... With luck people will be able to learn some skills. :)

Though for my idea I've changed it around a bit. 

Instead of running alternators (or just alternators) I'm going to have the water wheel run a 4 kW generator, and use that to charge the batteries. 

I was originally going to use a tractor run mix mill. However I couldn't get the right RPM at the needed horsepower for the PTO shaft... So I've changed the idea to use a mix hammer mill. Which needs about a fifth of the horsepower. 

Look into this.

Easier to make than a Pelton wheel (make out of pipe sections and plate for the sides).

That looks interesting. It would certainly be easier to build, given the right materials. I'll have to look into it further. :)

Decades ago, I had a 'Scientific American Young Experimenter' book (disappeared.. grrrr) which had an artcle on building one on the cheap.  I like how it doesn't require much head.