BuckingFastard(JN)

12v charger / cigarette lighter not working.

8 posts in this topic

It used to work, it died on a journey when i had the sat nav plugged into it.

Tried the one in the back, that doesn't work either.

Checked the fuse, it's fine, changed it anyway but still doesn't work.

It's a 2012 ford focus CDTI titanium.

Any advice?

Could be the wiring that got physically damaged. I would recommend taking it to a mechanic that deals with car electrical systems, or a dealership to get it tested. 

Plus use a volt meter to check for power. The device your plugging in may be defective. It (they) have a fuse right in the end of the plug. It unscrews like a little cap.

There are two fuses to check, the one in the charger itself and one in the fuse panel of the car.

If the one in the car looks good, try plugging something different into the socket to verify it works.  If it does not work the wire between fuse panel and the socket is compromised.  Trace it down, patch it or rethread it altogether.

If a different device works in the socket, but the fuse in your charger is good, the charger wire is likely shot.  Get a new charger.

That's about all I know.

Ive tried plugging different things into it and it still didn't work, so i know it wasn't the sat nav at fault.

The fuse for that charger is under the glove box on the passenger side, it's a 20v fuse, i also checked other 20vs in the fuse box under the bonnet and they're also ok.

Sometimes that charger runs on the same fuse as the radio, but the radio is fine.

I really don't want to take it to a mechanic or dealer if i can avoid it, id rather save money and do it myself.

You'll have to trace it.

I use to change a relay under the hood so the sockets would provide power when the ignition was off.

You'll need a cheap volt meter and work your way back...lol..good luck as I know it's not easy to fit in these small spaces.