Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
TehJackal

Site Changes // More to come

18 posts in this topic

Let me first introduce myself to all the new members of this community.  My name is Ryan, I was the original project lead for Help.com when our parent company purchased the domain and moved it to HelpToGo.com.  It was my job to transition everyone over, get the admins setup so that you could continue business as usual.    I'm a father of 3, a Veteran, a Web Designer / Developer, and a Christian.  Now you know me :)

So what changes are we making?

1. Clean Up: One of the biggest things we've seen was that you liked the way the old site looked and felt.  So instead of having all these many different categories we've moved everything into one general forum list so there is less to scroll and find and more specific category's such as Life, Health, Money, Entertainment, Misc, all the previous sub forums and their topics have been moved into those general categories.
  2. Software Update:  I will be updating the software to the latest version in the next few days, which will allow me to make some more improvements to the layout of the site to provide you all with what you are looking for.
  3. Design: Over the next few weeks we will be revamping the design and colors of the site, as well as the logo.  The logo although not really that important. 
  4. Chat: Still waiting on confirmation of this, but we are planning on upgrading this feature.
  5. ShoutBox: We are looking at getting this back up for you guys.  
  6. SEO: IPB is suppose to be one of the best at SEO, however there current system was not that great, with the software upgrade this should change this.
  7. Ads: We are talking about an advertising program that will allow small business owners to promote their business on this site in order to help drive sales for their business.  THIS IS NOT CONFIRMED YET, but it is something we will be discussion near the end of the revamp.
  8. Mobile App: This is a big one, I would like to get this done as soon as possible so that the community is able to check and post  more frequently as well as get updates to their posts and so forth.

So let's hear it.  What are your thoughts, concerns, questions, complaints etc etc.  If you don't want tell the public you are welcome to of course privately message me, and I will address your issues as they come in.

On a side note, I would like to thank everyone for being part of this community. As dark and selfish as society is today, it is great to see a group of strangers unite under one location to do their best to show their support and help where they can.  Let's continue to build on what you have done already and push HelpToGo into the #1 source for those looking for help.

Sincerely,
Ryan

It sounds rather good.

As for ads, PLEASE do not allow ads that pop up in your face when you go to the website, or banners that slide across what you are trying to read.   Those are super turn-offs that plagued the old Help.com site in its last days.   They were a b***h to deal with and ruined the experience.

I hope that something can be done to promote the site.   People might try "help.com", but they will never, ever think of "helptogo.com."  

I am also a veteran--and a Christian.   I am a VP of a private investigation and security firm in Canada.  

I look forward to this site being made viable and vibrant again. 

Just please be careful with the ads!

It sounds rather good.

As for ads, PLEASE do not allow ads that pop up in your face when you go to the website, or banners that slide across what you are trying to read.   Those are super turn-offs that plagued the old Help.com site in its last days.   They were a b***h to deal with and ruined the experience.

I hope that something can be done to promote the site.   People might try "help.com", but they will never, ever think of "helptogo.com."  

I am also a veteran--and a Christian.   I am a VP of a private investigation and security firm in Canada.  

I look forward to this site being made viable and vibrant again. 

Just please be careful with the ads!

I personal can not STAND pop up ads... so that was never a thought :)

It's all about traffic. As nice as the other changes sound, this site will remain in its death throes unless we get more traffic. Improved SEO sounds like a good start.

i agree with Jo

other than that i just want to say thanks for giving me a place to hang out and meet my favourite people in the world.

Yes Traffic is key, functionality is a huge part of this as well.  We have over 2,600+ members we should be actively posting constantly, so there is a combination of things that need to be done.  But SEO is one of the priority's 

Max likes this

Might I also suggest that someone who is new have their posts held 24 hours until they are "vetted."   I got so sick of spammers posting garbage about stupid diet pills!

Might I also suggest that someone who is new have their posts held 24 hours until they are "vetted."   I got so sick of spammers posting garbage about stupid diet pills!

Unfortunately that is a bit hard to control.  We want to make sure that people are able to post quickly in hopes they get the support they need.  I will be monitoring this page and post on a daily basis, and will be sure to control that as much as possible.

The spam prevention that was put into place is working on that front. That's why there haven't been as many lately. ;)

im on another forum almost exaclty like this one, they only allow 5 posts and resticted privileges when signing up for 24 hours. maybe you could do something similar.

BuckingFastard(JN) likes this

For new members, of we make them wait 24 hrs to be able to post, they will just give up.

If it gets busier here, mods will be around more and more on the ball to get rid of trolls.

I'm inclined to agree.

no, you dont have to wait 24 hours to post, you only get 5 posts in the first 24 hours, then a normal account after that