Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
Hawklan

Gorilla killed to save 4 yr old

16 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Anyone hear about the story of the Gorilla killed to save a young boy who fell in it's pen. It appears protesters are upset that the animal was unnecessarily killed. From what I can tell the zoo responded appropriately to protect a human life. While tragic (I hate to see an animal harmed) I cannot believe that pressure is mounting against the zoo for this.

Apparently the correct response would have been to risk harm to the child and allow a tranquilizer dart 10 minutes to take effect.

Hawk

(Sorry no link one day I will learn how to paste into this forum)

Yep it's complete bs. They videos show are the gorilla taking care of the child not harming it. The mother should be sued by the zoo, and child endangerment charges filed agaispnst her via social services. Now a considered to be endangered animal was killed because of some stupid women...

PETA should be at an uproar right now

Nix and Phoenix like this

When I first heard about this story I was absolutely outraged! What sort of feckin parent lets a 4yr old child roam free in a zoo of all places.

I hold the parents fully responsible for that poor gorillas unnecessary demise.

Ilse and Phoenix like this

im not sure with this one, i get why they killed it, if they didnt and the child died there would be outrage.

on the other hand a beautiful endangered creature died due to bad parenting. the parents absolutely should be punished for this.

did you hear about the lions which died also, because a man wanted to commit suicide. i think thats far worse, the lions absolutely should not have been shot.

I think the issue here is that a pen full of gorillas was accessible to a child.

I think animal activists issues are with the fact that gorillas were in there to begin with (and then got shot for it).

The gorilla that got shot had no control over the fact that it was put into a zoo - some people find no moral objection to this.

The gorilla that got shot had no control over the fact that a child was able to climb the barrier, and then got shot for it - I can see why people find a moral objection to this.

Whether you not you see gorillas as having access to some (or a reduced degree) of human rights, this was an undesirable outcome.

I think if the gorilla was showing strong evidence to suggest that it was likely to cause harm to the child, then they did right to shoot it in those circumstances (even though I don't agree with those circumstances).

However I find it concerning that the keepers would shoot the gorilla when the gorilla made no dangerous moves towards the child. It suggests to me that the keepers do not have a good working relationship with these gorillas.

Ilse and Docteur Ralph like this

Well, I read about this story. it is easy to jump to conclusions. First, it is so easy for a child to wander away unnoticed. It happened to a friend on the sea front. I was with hs young daughter and him. We looked away to pay for goods at a stall and the young girl just decided she was bored and wanted to go to her favourite play area. It was a heart stopping moment. We ran up and down looking for her. I called beach security, and we found her happily playing by herself! Nightmare!

As for the Gorilla, It is often difficult to judge what animal behaviour may mean. Anyone seen the documentary Grizzly Man? I would tend to support the park keepers actions as they would understand the risks involved. It was very sad though. I guess it points to a need to make sure fences are child proof. In the end, a human life and the safety of visitors will be paramount. The child could have been crushed by a tranquilized gorilla. And the gorilla's behaviour could have changed in a flash.

I am sorry, but I cannot help this . . . I have tried, but the impulse is just too strong, so here it goes:

If Hillary Clinton had fallen into the gorilla enclosure, would they have shot HER?

OK . . . I am back to normal activities!

Docteur Ralph likes this

I have to say that the backlash that has come from this is distressing to say the least. 

I am so disappointed in humans.  On every threat about this, there are HUNDREDS of people who are saying that the gorilla should have been allowed to live.  Even if that meant the death of the boy.  Those comments are followed up by people saying that the world is overpopulated anyway and that there are millions of toddler boys and only hundreds of gorillas and so it doesn't matter if the boy was killed.  Those comments are compounded when people are saying that the mom should have been shot and/or that the boy should have been shot.  There are comments about what a dumb ass the boy is and how could he have done this....comments about taking the kids away from the parents, etc.

​On my own fb page, I stated that the life of a human always trumps the life of an animal.  I got people jumping down my throat for that....why would a human be more important than an animal and also people saying that humans and animals are equal (people who are carnivores to boot)

​Anyway, my faith in humanity is shaken.  I really cannot believe how many people out there who truly don't seem to care for human life one bit

Having said all of that, here is my take on the child getting into the pen in the first place
​A toddler's goal in life is to experience this brand new world.  Remember, what we take for granted is all brand new to them; they appreciate the little things in life.

​With that being said, two things are happening in their little brains (Brains, by the way, that have close to zero reasoning ability....even people in their late teens and early 20's have don't have constantly adequate reasoning abilities)

​#1:  They are eager to use/test their bodies in walking/running; climbing/swinging....Have you ever seen a toddler's eyes light up when they can finally "jump?"  And their eyes light up even more when they can ACTUALLY jump with both feet off the ground.    How they feel so incredibly accomplished to be able to "balance" on a rail road tie or edge of a sidewalk all by themselves? 
​#2: They are eager to see, hear, smell, touch and taste everything that comes into remote contact with them....and are even willing to go out of their way to accomplish that.

​And...they are quick little buggers!

I think that if nothing else they should learn from this. The zoo is at fault for not enclosing the gorillas properly. I blame them completely. I know for a fact my children had a will of their own at that age, no matter how closely guarded they managed to get themselves in a fix at times. None the less, if visiting a place that have wild animals, extra precaution should be taken.

Gorillas are extremely strong, and can mood change on a whim. Seems the crowd also made it anxious, so there was just no telling which way it would go. Had to be put out to save the child. Human life should always take priority. We live in a sick world where people are dislodged from nature and the natural order of things. This is causing problems and fanatics then come in to place the life of an animal above that of a human being.

Yes it is sad but a human life takes priority.

im not sure with this one, i get why they killed it, if they didnt and the child died there would be outrage.

on the other hand a beautiful endangered creature died due to bad parenting. the parents absolutely should be punished for this.

did you hear about the lions which died also, because a man wanted to commit suicide. i think thats far worse, the lions absolutely should not have been shot.

Yep some fella wanted to commit suicide so he got himself mauled by lions,which were then shot. It was totally uneccesary.

I think all Zoos should be closely inspected as to how,when,where and why do these people manage to gain entry in the first place?

@Pep When my kids were little they had to wear reins,it was a matter of keeping my sanity lol.

I know how inquisitive a child can be but I still say that 4yr old boy should have been looked after properly. I read somewhere that he kept telling his Parents he wanted to go into that gorilla surely that should have set alarm bells,it would've done with me.

Then again it does raise questions how he managed to get into that enclosure in the first place. So,both are at fault here.

Haha Big Al, too funny.

4yr olds are pretty conniving. Tymbus, I agree really easy to blame the mother, when none of the media outlets have given the details as to what the mother was up to when the boy entered the pen (so we don't know either way).

I agree the zoo should improve it's barrier to prevent this, and it is certainly sad, but for any of you that saw the video, the moment he dragged that kid across the water there was only one decision the zoo could make. Not sure the gorilla meant to harm the boy as he seemed to be reacting to the stressed observers, but he could have easily have incidentally harmed the kid.

As for Lion story, what the ... I can't imagine wanting to commit suicide by lion. That's gotta be painful as hell, and not necessarily quick either.

Hawk

There was an incident of this happening in the 80s, the gorilla protected the child from the other gorillas until help came, and nobody shot the gorilla.

There's no saying the child was going to come to harm.

I remember that I think that's one of the reasons there was such outrage about shooting the gorilla. Gorillas are supposed to have a caring nature they wouldn't/shouldn't hurt a defenceless child. Its in there nature to protect like its one of there own.

Did you read that one about a little boy (Japanese I think)who got left in the forest which is known for wild bears? I mean wtf goes on in these parents head at all.Apparantly,they left him there as a punishment for playing up in the back of the car...

Luckily the boy was found(thank god) and safely returned home.Smh...