Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
Jethro/Sammy

Why do a lot of people associate "The Three Musketeers" with childishness and swordfights in the backyard?

6 posts in this topic

And the one with Mickey, Goofy, and Donald? I was at Target one day, looking for a movie to rent from Red Box and found "The Three Musketeers" (with Oliver Platt, Keifer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, and Chris O'Donnell) when I bumped into an acquaintance (the mother of a friend). She asked me what movie I had rented and I told her. She laughed as if to say, "Three Musketeers, huh? Remind me how old you are again?" Seriously, time and again, I have encountered people equating Dumas's "Musketeers" with swordplay in the backyard and childish games. What the heck? If they just read the book, the Musketeers were drunks when they weren't on an adventure and they had romances with women. Not so childish now, is it?

lol, maybe its just in your head since she didnt actually say it. 

Wasnt there a version of this as a kids cartoon with 3 mice? maybe thats why?

Who cares anyway, you like what you like. If anyone told me still loving harry potter was childish i would say there is something siriusly ron with them! 

12 hours ago, Nix said:

lol, maybe its just in your head since she didnt actually say it. 

Wasnt there a version of this as a kids cartoon with 3 mice? maybe thats why?

Who cares anyway, you like what you like. If anyone told me still loving harry potter was childish i would say there is something siriusly ron with them! 

It was perfectly clear in her facial expression, I could tell.

I don't, actually

My boys play "army guys" with swords in the backyard.....or my oldest son, who is half Japanese, has a friend who is Norwegian....so they played "Samurai and Viking..."  Lots of the boys who I knew and know played "other" characters, such as spies, or characters from movies/tv shows/superheroes

It was never the 3 musketeers....

And when I personally think of the 3 musketeers, I sorta associate them with a "Zorro-ish" thing...legend, fantasy, middle ages....not really kids play acting as such.