Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
Angel

Moving to a new state.

12 posts in this topic

I'm trying to move. I was born and raised in Las Vegas, Nevada. I have never lived any where else. I'm kind of desperate to get out of here. I hate Vegas, the whether, the pollution, the people, the environment! I'm really interested in either Jacksonville, Oregon or Salem, Oregon. But I have absolutely no idea how to even begin to go about moving out of the state. How do you find a job before you live there? I'm terrified of moving there and using up all my savings before I find a job and then just get stuck going back to Vegas. I don't know ANYBODY in either of those cities so I would be completely on my own. And there is the matter of choosing between the two cities. Salem is closer to Portland so if I need to go into the city its right there, but Jacksonville is closer to Vegas so it would be easier to visit friends and family. Jacksonville is also smaller less than 3,000 people Salem has about 10,000 and those are both extremely small compared to Vegas which has about 800,000 people. I'll take either I love the small town idea. But pretty much everything comes back to finding a job. I'm 20 years old I only have 1 year of a college education and 2 years sales experience. I would have to be able to find a job with enough income that I could completely support myself with no help. I've tried doing research on the difference between taxes and pricing of everything but I'm just getting more and more confused! All I know is I can't take another summer out here! And I would really love a white X-mas. And I just don't know where to start or how to even begin the process! I need to be out of here by next July, I'll be 21 by then. Anybody who has moved out of state before or has ever lived or does live in Salem or Jacksonville could help me. I just don't know anything.

For reference in Vegas:

I'm in management selling sunglasses. I make 9.50 an hour plus commission and a bonus structure.

(After commission and everything I average about $14 an hour working 76 hours a week) minimum wage here is $8.25)

So my net income is just under $1800 a month, gross income is about $2100 a month. After my car this is enough for me to afford a 1 bed, maybe 2 bed, apartment by myself in Vegas.

Any help is welcome PLEASE! I'm kind of desperate.

i'll give you the lowdown.. cost of living vs wages are a factor.. I dont mean lifestyle expenses.. lol. . but yea.. if you are concerned with living stable.. yea.. go to a more friendly location.. smaller towns usually do the trick but you get more annoying neighbors :P. (I recently moved myself after a new job.).. just be wise with location and cost of living as well as commute.

I would say that before you move, you should save three months worth of living expenses.

After you have done that, make the move, after researching neighborhoods and things online....

Once you move, spend the equivalent of a full time job each day looking for a job.  I don't think that it will be that hard to find one, if you put the time in to look heartily.  

Get to know some people in your apartment building, etc and ask them for leads.  Go to the local coffee shop and talk to people and ask if they know of anything opening up.  

If you get desperate, take any part time job you can find....the best way to hear about jobs, honestly, is by being IN the job market, in my opinion.

Also, part time jobs lead to full time jobs....

Finally, I think there would be more opportunity for a job in the larger town.  However, even if there are less jobs in the smaller town, you're more likely to get a job based on word of mouth or just showing up somewhere and asking if they need someone....people in smaller towns seem more trusting.

When we moved to the town we live in now, we had $3k in credit card debt for Uhauls, moving expenses, etc.  Thought for sure it would be paid off in a year, but when it wasn't, I started going around to the local hotel chains and asking if they needed someone to "just fill in when regular employees were sick or on vaca.  I told them that I could be their 'back pocket' person."

As it turned out, the woman who did breakfasts in the mornings had just had knee surgery, and they needed someone to do the continental breakfasts each morning for six weeks.  So I landed a six week job that was only 4 hours a day.  But before the six weeks were up, I was trained at the front desk because a front desk employee went on maternity leave, so I was working the front desk in the mornings after doing the breakfast, giving me 8 hours a day.   When the breakfast lady came back, I still filled in at the front desk a couple days a week, but those hours got longer and more frequent.....it just snowballed.  

Good luck !

Padre J Roulston likes this

That's one reason why salem would be a good idea. It's more of a tourist attraction and I could probably get transferred doing the same job I'm doing now. This way I can stay in management and not have to start from the beginning. As of right now I can save about $2400 by next July (unless I get another raise.) And I know that's not enough but there is just no way I can handle another summer out here. I have to spend 8 hours a day outside in 115° heat. The process of moving isn't going to cost much I don't own much stuff and my dad and brothers will happily help me move with their trucks so I don't need to worry about renting a uhaul or anything. I do plan on going out there for like 3 days to check it out and look around first (probably in January)

I'm not worried about neighbors I already deal with assholes here in vegas it can't get much worse. And I'm whiter than white so I don't have to worry about racist rednecks giving me crap I'm more worried about religious nuts. I'm thinking salem may be my better option but I've never been to either so I really just need to get a good look around first and foremost.

Pepperjelly likes this

Is it possible for you to approach the manufacture's distributor and ask if you could work as a temporary regional rep. and travel for them?

It's good to see you again:)

I've jumped to new towns and cities, is scary but works.

You're a big city girl, so moving to a very small town may not work. If the town is too small you'll both conflict. Gossip will drive you crazy and you'll scare them...lol.

You are very pretty and kind, so you'll be popular, but the women there will hate you. They only have one or two men to date...lol.

I drove through Salem. Very quiet and pretty, seemed clicky.

If you were my sister, I'd like to see you move as an exchange student and get some form of degree:)

Pepperjelly likes this

I hate the big city. I always have. I'm already used to being the source of hate and gossip so I can handle that too. I only did one year of college and got $25000 in debt so yeah the degree isn't going to happen anytime soon.

As for my company it doesnt really work like that. It's a small business and I would basically be asking my current franchisee to give me an excellent recommendation to the franchisee there. And hope that my current one isnt going to be bitter that I'm leaving.

I understand all of that. LOL.

I'm talking about Corporate. They have regional managers that inspect and assess franchisees. I have three. It's hard to find people that are willing to enter a training program that requires them to travel. I think you'd be perfect at traveling:)

Your debt is sadly the norm today, but you'll handle it.

I would look into Austin, Texas, Florida, anyplace without state tax usually has lower living cost, but that also means lower wages as well...

I've lived in several states growing up, and honestly the best places I have found where Austin, TX, and now Boca Raton Florida.

I'd recommend looking to house share or rent a room off someone, rather than getting your own place, it will be a lot cheaper incase the job you get doesn't pay well, and it will give you a local person to show you round and tell you what you need to know about the area.

I recommend staying put until you have an "anchor" in one of those places, i.e., a job or someone to stay with.

In this economy--and we are once again in a recession--it can take a year or longer to land a job.  

I have my own company now--but I spent 16 fruitless months looking for a job in Canada--and I had decades of management experience and an MBA.  

Wish you the best--just don't leap into the abyss!

TehJackal thanks but I'm trying to get out of the heat, not go to a different kind of heat. texas and florida are both very warm and humid places. Vegas is a dry heat.

BuckingFastard I have 2 dogs what's the likeliness of me finding someone who would be okay with that? lol. 

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it. Evidently I'm not going to be able to leave Vegas as soon as I had hoped. My older brother is trying to get me to go closer to the east coast (and as much as I would enjoy that because I do tend to get along better with those people.) I don't want to go TOO far away because my baby brother is here and I need to be able to have quick access to him if necessary. If anybody has any nice smaller towns in washington or oregon that they would recommend I would appreciate that as well.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead