Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
TehJackal

*** HelpToGo's future***

7 posts in this topic

Since the websites revamp traffic has not been all that great, in reality we should be getting 50-100 members a day with lots of topics to post.  There are a few reason why we are not.  

1. Facebook itself is a problem.  Everyone can talk to everyone there right?  But they can't do without people knowing who they are.
  2. Current sites layout - when we purchased help.com we had to get a quick solution and this was it.  Recently I've updated everything and it's much better however... the problem still is not everyone likes the site.
  3. Content... yes the global chat feature is awesome, but in reality it's not that great, we nee people posting content and people being active.

Solutions....

1. @Padre J Roulston @BuckingFastard(JN) have seen 1 of the two new designs I have planned for it, needless to say it brings us back to the ORIGINAL layout design of Help.com.  With a modern look, code and colors, with some special features and such like global chat box etc etc.  This is going to take several months and money that I do not have right now.  Because their is next to no traffic, there are is no funding to this site anymore, I pay for everything myself, the software updates, server cost etc etc... so money is tight for this.  Server cost will be covered as I'm purchasing a extremely large server for my social network that my private investor is working on and has agreed to let me host HelpToGo.com over there.  

2. I've been building a social network for a specific industry.  Both @Padre J Roulston and @BuckingFastard(JN) have seen this.  Well Padre has not seen the latest changes, however bucking is an employee of the network, or well will be officially shortly once we launch into beta.  The reason I'm telling you this is I've been debating turning H2G into it's own private social network.  With nearly 75% of FB's features.  There are some things i can't do like phone calls, payments, shit like that... but I have all the important basics down.  Chat, Friends, Wall post, tagging etc etc.  This particular network is geared towards a certain industry.  If I went this route (and I will probably install a demo in the next few weeks when a few other modules are running) so you guys can test it out and let me know your thoughts.

Let me know your thoughts...

Ilse likes this

I don't know if changing the site into it's own social network is the best idea, but I do think that changing things over to the design you showed me, would be a great idea. :)

Ilse likes this

i think it needs to be a kind of yahoo answers/ facebook hybrid. 

more personal than yahoo answers and the connectivity of facebook. i think you nailed in in that respect. the ones still complaining that its not the same as before need to move on. its not the same and it wont ever be the same but that site was dying a slow death and needed updating. change is hard but we're over it now.

SEO needs to be improved maybe? i just typed a few key words in like help, help me, i need help and this site didnt come up, it was mostly big business help pages.

i think people need the anonymity, i dont connect my facebook with this site because i have family on facebook i wouldnt want to find this, this is my personal space and theres something about letting of steam to strangers (now friends :) ) that has helped me through tough times.

Docteur Ralph likes this

It all sounds intriguing.

I liked the original help.com layout.   It seemed to facilitate conversation.

We need to protect anonymity.   Otherwise, discussions will be stifled.

We need to market the site in ways that do not cost money.

And just perhaps--a change in the name.   Whereas I once rather intuitively typed in "help.com," nobody would think to type in "helptogo.com".

Ilse likes this

I really liked the scrolling main page layout of the old site as well. But I like the idea of it being more modern and clean. Another thing that is really important about this site is the anonymity, as well as it being relatively simple. It makes it more accessible to people. While people do make friends and socialize on here, I like that it revolves more around asking people for help with any issues you may have. Not about posting pictures from your weekend trip or what have you (at least that's what comes to mind when one says "social networking" site). As far as low site traffic, I don't especially like the websites layout right now, but I do like the people. When I tried to go back to help.com and it was gone, I didn't know where to go to find this community. I remember I first found it by typing help into google and the site popped up on the main page, others by just typing in help.com and seeing where it would lead. I wonder if part of it is that folks don't know you're here? And how would anyone happen to find this website?