Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
EinChorMan

converting

11 posts in this topic

its an invasion of choice.. like with commercials.. buy the better product.  why does religion sell so hard converting belief?... its like this with politics and all. bit unfair if you ask me.

Realistically religion in and unto itself isn't a hard sell. It is the people presenting the religion who are the hard sell. 

Generally speaking though it comes down to salvation. If you believe that other people who believe differently are going to go to Hell/damnation/etc. then wouldn't you want to do everything in your power to change that, so those people won't go to Hell/etc?

EinChorMan likes this

It's about planting seeds...as Padre said, if you believe in hell...you don't really want anyone to go there, so you try to live the right life and bring up your religion when it seems appropriate, and hope that those who are in your circle have a fertile heart to have the seeds of salvation planted.

It should NEVER be invasive, though.  Being invasive and coercive toward people does not "win them over....," but unfortunately many religious people are that way far too often.

Padre J Roulston likes this

since it about heaven n hell, why do we narrow it down to these sore words that are practically ancient and advoided like the plague.. cant it be considered with kinder words like hardships / freedom  for lack of better word..or is it too "newspeak" ..  i mean there are factors to it.. innit...is life gained by faith or driven by the will to have a better life.. sounds like a simple formula but the words get thrown around alot .. can be bit confusing. 

1 hour ago, EinChorMan said:

since it about heaven n hell, why do we narrow it down to these sore words that are practically ancient and advoided like the plague.. cant it be considered with kinder words like hardships / freedom  for lack of better word..or is it too "newspeak" ..  i mean there are factors to it.. innit...is life gained by faith or driven by the will to have a better life.. sounds like a simple formula but the words get thrown around alot .. can be bit confusing. 

I'm not sure that I follow what you're saying. 

sorry.. i meant sore words like " HELL " could be easily translated to .. "hard times" or " down in luck "  rather than fiery torture as we all imagine.

Well, though when the word Hell is used, most people associate it with fiery torture because that is how Jesus explained it in His parables. 
However, at its most basic, Hell is simply separation from God. 

So to say that it is a hard time/ down on your luck, isn't all that accurate. Though for some, those hard times in this life, could very well be a living hell. 

EinChorMan likes this

new question here.. how can the bible help you?  to me it seems like a collection of stories and such.. is it a bunch of lessons to learn from? off point..  i met a guy when taking a uber to a place .. ( oddly same guy picked me up on the way back ) so on the way back i was telling him about how hard i have it cuz i cannot hear what people are saying most of the time.. especially when in groups.. so telling this guy about it.. he says .. to me.. feel my legs... so i did .. and its the prosthetics under the pants. I looked at him with empathy.. he says to me .. the whole jesus sell then tries to cure me with one of those head smacks devil begone... im just saying here, wheres this coming from?

If I'm understanding your question correctly.... 

These are fairly long verses, so I'm not going to post them in completion but have a look at these:

Matthew 8:5-17
Luke 8:43-48
Luke 8:49-56

What these verses show is how healing is done by faith...

Matthew 21:18-22 NIV

Jesus Curses a Fig Tree

18 Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry.

19 Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered. 

20 When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?” they asked. 

21 Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 

22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”

So what this all means, is that if you have the faith that what will be done through God, and don’t doubt, then it will be done.

So in the case of your hearing, or your driver’s legs, if you have faith in God, and don’t doubt His power, then you would be healed in full.

As for the bible, it would depend on whom you talk to as to whether it is divine and infallible truth, or a collection of stories meant to guide us.

Personally I think that the bible is true in its teachings, meant to guide us through our life.

EinChorMan likes this