Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
Lano

Question for Joggers and Runners

23 posts in this topic

People who do this on a regular basis:

I've been trying to get into better shape.  Since January, I've been going to the gym pretty regularly.  I was walking on the treadmill for thirty minutes and over the past week or so I decided to go longer (about fifty minutes) and to jog for five minutes of it.  

Ever since I started, I've had to walk through a bit of pain.  Nothing is broken or damaged, but my feet, especially my heels, and knees, often start to hurt.  For a while, in the beginning, they'd hurt just walking at a brisk pace for 15 minutes or so.  It's gotten less as I've gone on, so I assume that my ligaments and muscles are getting stronger and more used to the stress.  However, since intensifying my workout, I've also gotten a bit of the pain back as well (though I'd say not quite as much as when I first started).

So I'm wondering: is this pain normal?  I don't want to push my body to hard.  I went to my doctor about it a few months ago and he did X rays and couldn't find anything medically wrong with me.  Does anyone else have experience with exercise and pain in general, and want talk about it?

It depends how over weight you are.

I used to run A LOT when I stopped I put a lot of weight back on and found my knees hurt. I have also had issues with my feet which is quite recent. Funnily enough I suspect that its because I spend most of my time in reclining chairs with my feet up. I think this position is affecting, maybe shortening my leg muscles and feet muscles. When I sit up right at my desk my feet seem to heal. Now I've been pushed off my desk back to the sofa and they're painful again. Theyre sort of in the same position as wearing high heels except without the pressure.

The back can also be affected if your top heavy but you should get used to it if its not pain. I would also say if you are over weight, dont over do it on the running/ walking, the xtrainer/eliptical trainer is easier on your joints, burns more calories and gives a more satisfying workout, as well as swimming and weightlifting. Im now at a point where i cant bend my knee 90 degrees or more for longer than a few seconds.

Your body will take time to adjust, a little ache is fine, pain is not. If you can work through the ache for a little longer you will get stronger.

I'm about thirty lbs overweight, I guess (6'2, 215 lbs)

I just really like running.  I know the benefits of the elliptical and such but I want to be able to jog and run.  I don't have any problems bending my knees.  I've always been pretty flexible, actually.  I haven't had any back issues either.  

What's the difference between ache and pain?  I guess therein lies my problem.  I mean, it's mild enough that I can jog through it.  

I think the biggest problem is the back of my right heel.  It often feels like it's stretching a little too much.  

An ache is a persistent discomfort, typically dull so that you can try to ignore it, but sometimes all-encompassing, yet not sharp enough to describe as pain. Your legs would ache after a tough run; you would not describe this as pain. You usually get a headache, not a head pain

I guess an ache would feel like you worked hard, pain is feeling injured.

I didnt have knee problems before, that came with pushing myself  too much, too far and no resting. I love running too, and fortunately i dont think i would have any problems with my knees if i wanted to run again, its just bending, like the cartilage has worn down. Just something to be aware of, rest days are vital.

3 hours ago, Nix said:

An ache is a persistent discomfort, typically dull so that you can try to ignore it, but sometimes all-encompassing, yet not sharp enough to describe as pain. Your legs would ache after a tough run; you would not describe this as pain. You usually get a headache, not a head pain

I guess an ache would feel like you worked hard, pain is feeling injured.

I didnt have knee problems before, that came with pushing myself  too much, too far and no resting. I love running too, and fortunately i dont think i would have any problems with my knees if i wanted to run again, its just bending, like the cartilage has worn down. Just something to be aware of, rest days are vital.

I wouldn't describe it as an ache in that sense.  I'd describe it as pain, but it's pain that I can ignore, I guess.  Also, it tends to come and go as I jog.  Like my knee will hurt for a few minutes but then the pain will go away completely, and sometimes come back, sometimes not.  

Honestly, I had more knee pains and trouble bending before I started jogging.  Then again, I have an office job and spend most of my time sitting.  I know what you mean about rest days though.  I've been on vacation this week though, so I didn't have an excuse NOT to go to the gym, so I've been going every day.  

2 hours ago, Gone. said:

2 hours ago, Gone. said:

Are you using the right footwear?

That's an interesting link :)  I don't think I have that, based on the symptoms.  I just have the pain when I'm walking really briskly or jogging, and it's not consistent.  

I wear running shows and I have those foot gels in the soles for more support.  

I thought with you saying "it feels like your heels being stretched".

I've had plantar fascilitis and it bloody knackers! 

Those gel insoles can alleviate the discomfort slightly. :)

To be fair, I should have probably specified I mean the back of the foot, where the achilles tendon is.  That's specifically where I can pain.

I did some looking around from that link and I found a few excercises that are supposed to help alleviate tension in the achilles (toe lifts and calf raises)

Something being knackers sounds like it could be good, but I'm assuming it's bad.

Plantar is a bitch! you really dont want that, my mum had it for years.

On the point of rest days, if your like me and a rest day sometimes turns into a few days, pilates is a fab way to stretch muscles, relieve aches, and its a work out too, so you kinda dont feel like a rest day but you do feel rejuvenated.

Lano likes this

9 hours ago, Nix said:

Plantar is a bitch! you really dont want that, my mum had it for years.

On the point of rest days, if your like me and a rest day sometimes turns into a few days, pilates is a fab way to stretch muscles, relieve aches, and its a work out too, so you kinda dont feel like a rest day but you do feel rejuvenated.

Thanks, that's  a good tip.  I think I am going to quit jogging for at least a few days if not for a full week.  I went again today and the pain, while not unbearable, doesn't seem right.  I'm going to keep doing toe and calf raises and I'll look into pilates...I never done that before though, I'll have to youtube it.

9 hours ago, Lano said:

Thanks, that's  a good tip.  I think I am going to quit jogging for at least a few days if not for a full week.  I went again today and the pain, while not unbearable, doesn't seem right.  I'm going to keep doing toe and calf raises and I'll look into pilates...I never done that before though, I'll have to youtube it.

i love the 21 day fix one, it seems faster than other versions ive seen. and if you are clever you can get it for free ;)

Just as an update, I rested for a week and the pain in the back (achilles area) of my foot is gone when I run!  My knees were being annoying though. Stiffer than usual and a little pain.  I wonder if that's because I rested too long.  

If your joints become stiff just rub them down with some baby oil. You could also benefit from taking cod liver oil capsules,it's very beneficial in the long run. :)

Its not really joint pain, just soreness in the area where my leg meets my foot.  I think its just a matter of the muscles and ligaments there getting eventually stronger.  It can be annoying when you hit that wall tho

14 hours ago, Gone. said:

How's them feet/legs of yours? 

Haven't been able to jog for more than a couple of minutes on the tread without pain.  So I'm sticking to walking and hoping that ankles start to toughen up.  

I think it comes down to ankle strength.  Once the stamina and flexibility in those ligaments builds up enough i'll be able to burn a lot more calories on the tread