Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
Nix

Talking about anxiety

12 posts in this topic

I've been suffering from anxiety for a long time now.  Years ago I think it was depression, but now I don't really feel anything except anxious and frustrated.  I don't think I am depressed now, but I am getting worse with anxiety.  It's got to a point where I don't want to be around people.  When people I know talk to me, it just feels like horrible loud noises in my head.  Everything feels loud and irritating.  The only time I leave the house is to walk my dog, and even that makes me anxious, some days I can't even do it.  I walked him this morning, I can't let him off lead so I take him to a tennis courts so he can't run off anywhere. And it hit me... I feel safe in the tennis courts.  I don't even drive anymore.

I went to the docs on saturday, for something unrelated, I mentioned anxiety in passing to the doc, but I could feel my eyes start to water.  She said I should make another appointment and talk to her about it.  I want to, but I'm scared I'll start crying and have to walk home looking upset.  And I wouldn't even know where to start if I did go back.  I guess this is the first time I'm admitting that  there is a problem

Nix, IMO you do need to talk to the doc. Try not to worry about what you are going to look like walking home, or anything else. Just make the appointment and go. Don't try to start talking anywhere in specific. Just tell her how you are feeling, and if you know it what is causing you to feel that way. 

You have taken the first step in admitting there is a problem. That is the first and hardest step. Now you just need to keep walking. The road to recovery isn't easy, and it isn't short, but the more you travel along it the easier it becomes. 
And Nix, you DON'T have to walk it alone. 

I too suffer from anxiety (though to a lesser extent) It is hard to deal with, but together we can get through it. :)

Nix likes this

I booked the appointment for Friday. 

Oh gosh, Idk what I'm even gonna say, shes gonna ask whats wrong and I'm gonna be like '..........'.

Just tell her how you are feeling at the time, and then how you were feeling the day before, and the week before, then the month before. 

Soon you will be telling her what is wrong without knowing it. And you will be closer to getting the help you need. :)

I cried like a baby, and she recommended medication, said i should start to exercise again, and get out of the house for 15 mins a day.

Its only low dose meds atm, and I have to see her again next week.  Im kinda in a weird place, i dont feel depressed per se, just dont want to do anything, have no energy, dont want to leave the house and feel nervous, anxious about the future etc. not sad but not happy either.

Talking from experience that is depression.... perhaps not a deep depression, but depression none the less. 

And what she has suggested are all good things, especially the exercising and getting out. Combine them and take the dog for a walk :)

she suggested that too, i do walk the dog, but its usually only twice a week lately.  I dont like going out after 7.30am, and i just cant wake up lately. i have zero energy or motivation to work out atm :( im trying though.

That is also the depression. The meds should help with that, but it will take some time. What you need to do is force yourself, even if you don't want to. 

And believe me I know that is easier said than done. But it is what is needed none the less. :)

It is going to take work, and with all work it isn't always going to be something that you want to do. But this is a temporary situation. You will get through it. :D 

Nix likes this

I'm sorry, Nix.  I hope you are feeling better soon

I also have depression, and at times it seems insurmountable.  A couple years ago, I didn't even get out of bed for three months straight.  I have PTSD, as well, and that causes me to act irrationally at times. 

It's hard to go through life that way and I just hope and pray to get better....and I hope and pray you do too

I'm so sorry to hear that Pepper, I hope you're getting help too, sending hugs to you.

I am feeling better, I considered stopping taking the meds but then reminded myself that I probably feel better because of the meds. It drags because i have to keep having appointments every 1-2 weeks. But Im more hopeful, determined and motivated now :)

Padre J Roulston likes this

Aw, Nix...mine is okay, for the most part.  I just hope you get better soon :)

The thing about the meds...people say that they don't feel any different while taking them....but the people who are around them notice a difference.  So often, people will stop taking their meds because they don't REALIZE they are better....

Padre J Roulston likes this