Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
Guest C. Cullen

Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don't

5 posts in this topic

Our church youth group is big. It ranges from kids on the last leg of middle school (on the verge of high school) on up to college/university (and even young professionals). After Bible study every Friday, there is an optional hang out/bonding time. We go out for coffee or boba or anything and we play board games, goof around, make fun of each other, have a blast. We all join. And then every first Friday of the month, we have our hang out night (no Bible study, just hang out and have fun). We all go. And of course, having minors in our group, the parents are worried when the kids don't come home early or on time. My father, being the pastor, of course, is responsible for his flock. So the parents call him up to find out where we are. And me being his son, I get an earful when I get home. As one of the oldest in the group (I'm the second to the youngest among the older age range) and the pastor's son, he says I'm responsible for the group and reminding them what time it is and that we have minors among us whose parents are worried and who need to go home already. That would be easy if they listened to me--they don't. So it's really out of my control. And I get the blame for it.

So if I go, I get a preview of his Sunday sermon, if you catch my drift. If I don't go, many people (my friends from the youth group, church members, even my own father) think I'm this shy, antisocial recluse who never gets out of the house. So really, it's a case of damned if ya do, damned if ya don't.

So what do I do about it?

Maybe hold a meeting with parents telling them all the activities that you do etc so they know what the kids are up to.  And be a little more authoritative when it is time to pack up and leave. 

Most kids these days have mobile phones so they should be able to let the parents know what theyre up to

Padre J Roulston likes this

11 hours ago, Nix said:

Most kids these days have mobile phones so they should be able to let the parents know what theyre up to

That's just the thing. The kids are rebellious, refusing to phone their parents even though they have phones. And when their parents call them, they refuse to pick up.

Any tips on how to make the kids obey/respect their parents (i.e., making them call back when their parents call them or even taking the initiative when they know we're going to be out late)? And how can I convince my fellow group leaders to listen to me? They never do. They always want their own way, their own fun. And when I suggest we go home before it's too late, it's like I'm pouring water on their blazing fire!

Looks like you have to be the responsible one. That also means the jerk that ruins everyone's fun. Being an authority figure is no fun, you'll find that out if you ever have children. Suddenly you can't really be their friend, you have to lay down the law and make rules. Tell the kids that their parents are worried about them and if they don't start letting them know exactly where they are and when they will be home that the Friday night party will have to end VERY early every time. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You nailed it...

Padre J Roulston likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead