Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
Guest WattpadWriter

Asking for Henry Cavill's picture to be photoshopped to look like a Jew--insulting or not?

9 posts in this topic

Would a Jew be insulted if I asked for a picture of Henry Cavill to be photoshopped to look like a Jew, with a tallit over his shoulders and thicker facial hair (it's for a story I'm working on on Wattpad, where Cavill's character is Jewish)?

My post on Reddit has been downvoted, apparently. So someone must've been insulted. Did I do something wrong by asking for Henry Cavill's picture to be edited to make him look like a Jew?

Just now, Guest Dum said:

Why do you want him to look specifically like a "jew?"

Because the character that I'm writing is a Jew who is going back to the roots he has so long turned his back on. And I "cast" Henry Cavill to "play" him (since, really, it's my story and some people have said that I look like him, kinda).

Although, I should clarify: What I meant by his story is my story is that it's about my bitter experiences in high school (and some parts of college) and learning to forgive (a certain girl in both instances--my life and the book) those who have hurt me (as he does in the story), not the going back to the faith/roots aspect.

1 hour ago, Padre J Roulston said:

What kind of book are you writing that you need a picture? Or is it for the cover?

On Wattpad, there is a feature where you can "cast" celebrities for your characters. It's for reference so readers can have an idea of what you picture them--what they look like in your head while you were writing them.

My advice, as a fellow author, is to forgo this feature, and describe the person in your writing. If your description is good, then the reader will be seeing what you see. 

I once heard it put, that reading is turning squiggles on a page, into a vivid halucination. If you take that away, then what do you have? :)

I guess that isn't an answer to the question you asked, but it is my advice none the less. :) 

Yeaaahhhhh... no pictures needed. An open mind creates a much better image than any picture ever will. Mick Jagger refused to disclose his lyrics or what his songs were about, saying that what each person makes of the song is what it is. John Lennon said the same thing. I remember reading the book Jaws when I was a kid and when they made the movie the shark was a hell of a lot less scary than the one I had imagined....

That being said someone is going to be butthurt errr I mean insulted no matter what you say about anyone in this day and age. Everyone is exactly the same. Jews do not have large noses, blacks are not prone to violence, white people can dance... yup. Just ask whoever is in charge

Padre J Roulston likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead