Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My neighbor keeps asking me to give her a ride to places that I am going to as while or pick up stuf

15 posts in this topic

My neighbor keeps asking me to give her a ride to places that I am going to as while or pick up stuffs while I am in the store for her. I don't mind in the beginning but found out that she seems to have no interests to get a driver license. A lot of the time, she would ask me to give her a ride eventhough she has a aunt. One time, her husband came home to give her a ride after I told her I am not going to that place. I feel that she's using me but yet I feel guilty if I say no. Right now, I am just avoiding her. I give her messages to let her know that even though I am doing her the favor, I am not happy about it. She doesn't seems to care and continue to bug me. She is capable to get a license herself if she would just put it a top priority. What would you do in such a situation?

UPDATE: Thanks you all for taking time to help me out. She called today to ask for a ride and I told her sure but in the future if it is something that she can handle it herself, i would like her to take care of it herself or talk to her husband about it. I said that I am sorry but it's because I want us to be able to stay friendly with each other. I told her if she has an emergency situation I will be there to help her, just that if it is a situation (I am referring to a 15 mins walk instead of getting a ride from me.) where she can handle it alone I would like her to do it herself instead of asking me for a ride. - IMPORT

Be assertive!

You have to tell her directly that you don't like what she has done.

It's her problem, if she got angry to you or whatever.

She is wrong and she need to change her attitude.

Be brave. Talk to her. - IMPORT

Yes, I agree. Be assertive. Tell her you feel this has been going on long enough and you wish to stop running errands for her. Be polite but firm in saying that you will no longer do these things.

I used a person that would let people do this to me and I would always feel taken advantage of. Sometimes I feel awful doing it but I had to learn to be assertive and stick up for my wants and needs and stop paying so much attention to someone elses. I still feel guilty about it sometimes but I keep telling myself there is a difference between being assertive and protecting yourself and being aggresive and just hurting the other person to be mean.

You are not being mean and have no reason to feel guilty for looking after yourself. I know it's hard not to feel that way! LOL Try to just keep telling yourself that over and over and over.

Be strong! *hugs* - IMPORT

Something doesn't make sense. That's not the whole story. Every teenager wants a driver's license. What's the rest of the story? - IMPORT

Well I'm sure she'll get her license and then everything will be perfect. - IMPORT

You said she was married tell her you are not taxi cab nor a free one for that matter and from now on her husband can run her on her errands and if he is not home she will have to wait till he gets home if she does not like it then go get her liciense and if she does not like that print this and give it to her you time has been used long enough if she was disabled or something similiar or did not have a car or down and out that would be a differant story but it seems she is not so tell her she is on her own it is okay to be helpful to those who are in need and sometimes to those who just need help with something but this does not sound like it fits any of the circumstances - IMPORT

Maybe she's just waiting for you to make your move on her?! - IMPORT

I would be annoyed too. You are going to have to find a way to say: I have tried to be a good neighbor by helping you out, but now your asking for rides is beginning to become a burden for me. I would like to maintain a friendly neighborly attitiude, but if you do not stop asking me for rides is it going to affect my ability to be friendly towards you, so please call a taxi, ask your husband, your aunt, or get a driver's license.....I will be happy to give you a ride in an emergency, but other than that please do not ask me anymore.

-Good luck with that, I have a tendency to be a doormat as well.... - IMPORT

This just happened to me. A neighbor without a license asked me for a ride to the store which is within walking distance. I gave her a ride and the next day she called and asked for another ride which I gave her. She was calling me everytime I was home for a ride so I stopped taking her calls. One night she called and said it was an emergency and her son needed a ride to the ER which I missed because I was outside. She called me later at 10:30 pm for a ride home from the ER and I got dressed and went but that was her last ride. I should have told her to her face I was not going to be her personal free taxi but not answering the phone worked. This is not someone I want to be friends with. I don't understand how some people can be so rude? - IMPORT

You could say I am that neighbour at present. I too need rides here and there and I do have plenty of offers of help. However,like you I don't feel it right to keep asking but then I feel ignorant by not accepting there offers of assistance. Its like I'm being awkward with them by refusing to take lifts etc.